You are viewing program68

August 2008   01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Day 4-5, Zone ... god only knows, halp

Posted by bsidequeen on 2008.08.02 at 21:09
It's not a dead zone they're in right now. Kururu knows that, because they've been keeping a very close watch on the map via flashlight during the storm, all of them huddled around the small pinprick of light in the crackling darkness. The wagon was barely enough to fit them all. Silently Kururu let herself feel a spark of hope begin to ignite in her terrified chest; they were all together, working towards the same goal, and they weren't killing each other, or even thinking about it.

Then again, the dark, scared part of her whispered, there was no guarantee how long that would last, was there? There never was.

But Kururu wasn't going to listen, not this time, not now. She pulled her soaked jumpsuit tight around her shoulders and knelt closer to see if she could help with the map some more.


Comments:


(Deleted comment)
bsidequeen at 2008-08-03 03:52 (UTC) (Link)
Kururu's eyes narrow in a confused squint, and she reaches over to grasp at the fabric of Black's jumpsuit, leaning close. She bites her lip and whispers, very quietly, "Who was that you were talking to?"
(Deleted comment)
bsidequeen at 2008-08-03 04:07 (UTC) (Link)
"... I saw something," she says. "Someone, maybe. I couldn't see a lot because of the weather outside. Who is he?" She swallows. "Do you think we can get him to help us? Does he have a collar, too? I didn't see him with us in the schoolroom."

It was just a faint outline, but it looked like a person from where Kururu was sitting.
(Deleted comment)
bsidequeen at 2008-08-03 04:19 (UTC) (Link)
"If he's telling us not to worry, maybe he's not a monster." She doesn't know the Minotaur from Adam. "Maybe he'll help us break this game! Do you think so?"

The power of your optimism is stunning, Kururu.
(Deleted comment)
bsidequeen at 2008-08-03 04:27 (UTC) (Link)
"... if he comes back again, let me know." Kururu nods. "I want to talk to him next time."

She gives Black a quick, bright smile in the dark.
PFC L. Tucker
not_teal at 2008-08-03 04:53 (UTC) (Link)
We hope everyone's enjoying the ride. For Tucker right now, moving them forward, keeping the cows under control and not bolting towards the nearest dead zone after being spooked by too many close lightning strikes, not to mention avoiding sinking into what is by arguably called the ground, this is is all pretty much a full-time job.

And because the steering section isn't fully covered, he's a bit wet. Y'know, like the Antarctic's a bit cold. The only bright light at the end of this tunnel is the prospect of getting to play with rocker-propelled explosives for a good cause.

There had really better be a cool explosion.
Revan, (Former) Dark Lord of the Sith
prodigalsith at 2008-08-03 05:07 (UTC) (Link)
Revan keeps his legs pulled up against his body, his chin resting on his knees. Normally storms didn't bother him, but crammed into a wagon with five strangers during a death match made the rain positively miserable. He's spent most of this ride trying to organize all of this thoughts.

They were getting down to the last few contestants, of which this group was the largest. Something has to give. They'll have to split up or kill each other, it's the only logical conclusion. Especially since the cardiac arrest thing was probably the most completely insane idea he'd heard, at least without an actual doctor present. Especially since the other survivors would pick them out as a large, poorly-armed target.

He didn't have any illusions that it would increase his survival chances; he got the feeling that if he ended up with Hisa or Black in a group that he was as good as dead, one way or another. And he didn't want to leave Kururu alone with Black. She reminded him too much of his poor little brother for him to leave her to the boy's mercy.

Eventually, after mulling over the issues, he finally says, loud enough to be heard over the storm (even without the Force he can make his voice boom, a talent from the days when he was still sort-of canon), "We need to split into smaller groups. We present too large of a target like this, for the other contestants and the ones running this both."
PFC L. Tucker
not_teal at 2008-08-03 05:52 (UTC) (Link)
Wow, how does he do that? He does sound really persuasive though, and replies over his shoulder in a not-so-boomy voice, "Y---eah, I guess so. Some people should hang back while we take out the transmitter and go in..." There's not a lot of room for If in this, "...Once we find something to get us out of this shithole we can meet back up."
Henry Sherman-Townshend
unbroken at 2008-08-03 13:45 (UTC) (Link)
Henry hasn't really thought about the strategy of this. It isn't what he's good at. He's not really sure what he's good at, to be honest. At least he can grunt work. But it's going to be hard for him to leave Kururu, if it comes down to that.

He's been sitting in this wagon for what feels like ages. He's a tall man, but he compacts well, and he'd been trying to give everyone else as much room as possible. "So who is going in...?" he asked quietly. "Everyone who goes in will have to get their collar off, right...?"
bsidequeen at 2008-08-03 13:53 (UTC) (Link)
"There might be other transmitters, too," Kururu says, quietly, uncertainly. "They have a town hall listed on the map - it might have something there we can use?" She throws her hands up quickly, flushing. "I-I'm not sure! But I - I think it would best if Black wasn't around any d-dead bodies right now."

She swallows. "And -" it's a little hard to get to this point of realization, given her beliefs and earlier statements, but she's spent a whole day and a half with her life in Tucker's hands, she's willing to try, at this point - "nobody has to get close to the transmitter if someone shoots it with the rocket launcher."

God, how she hates knowing they're going to have to use it, but there's really no way around it, is there? "And that someone - it ... can't be me. I couldn't fire that. So."
Revan, (Former) Dark Lord of the Sith
prodigalsith at 2008-08-03 16:25 (UTC) (Link)
Strategy is something that Revan has learned over the years, though his plans tend to be of the 'letting a few die to save many' variety. He wonders if he's setting up one of those plans on accident right now.

"Most of the major functions of the collars would be controlled from the transmitter in the school; if you can knock that out with the rocket launcher then an assault on the school would be more successful. It is what was done last year, but with improvised explosives." Then again, someone lit the forest on fire last year. "As much as I would enjoy being the one to blow those schuttas to hell, I am not a particularly good shot with heavy artillery."

After mentioning that, his thoughts drift toward home briefly. Who knows how long he's been missing in the Nexus, with the way time runs? Carcer's going to be furious that he's hung around here this long. And Dann... he doesn't even want to know how Dann is taking all of this.
hisazawa at 2008-08-03 21:00 (UTC) (Link)
Hisa is not in a good mood. This group is big, too big. Frankly, she doesn't like it. She can't keep track of this many people. Sure, it'd be easier for her to get away in the confusion if a fight broke out...but there's too many variables.

Even so, she thinks splitting up is a really, really bad idea. "Yeah, and then what? How would we keep track of each other in this?"

Hisa does not want to stuck in a situation where she doesn't know where all her targets are. The cardiac arrest plan is obviously too risky so....yes, she's going to have to make sure everyone here dies.

Sorry Tucker.
PFC L. Tucker
not_teal at 2008-08-03 23:36 (UTC) (Link)
Tucker pipes up again once discussion comes around to the rock-it lawnchair. "So uh, yeah, just on case I didn't mention it before, I have used one of those before. Not the same model for sure, but I figure I know which end to point where..."

It is true that he has experience with a certain type of rocket launcher. He probably shouldn't mention some of that experience includes getting shot at by one, or attempting to blow up a team-mate ant point-blank range with one, to prevent the bomb his body from killing everyone. So he won't.

"So yeah, if no one thinks they wanna give it a try..."
Revan, (Former) Dark Lord of the Sith
prodigalsith at 2008-08-04 01:04 (UTC) (Link)
"Previous experience with the wrong kind trumps having no experience at all," he replies to Tucker. "I would trust you with it more than I would trust myself."

Revan looks over to Hisa, feeling something akin to suspicion broiling up at her question. He has to wonder what would make her want the group to stay together, despite all logic pointing to splitting up being the better option. Nevermind that he's not particularly predisposed to people that lurk behind him when he's distracted like he was at the mill. The last time that happened his best friend shot him in the back with a turbolaser. "If the communication equipment they used is not destroyed in the assault, it could easily be used to contact those that stayed behind." It's a tactic he's used to great effect before.
Henry Sherman-Townshend
unbroken at 2008-08-04 02:13 (UTC) (Link)
Oh, good, there's someone who knows how to use this thing. Henry had been wondering if anyone here would be able to, or if they'd just have to muddle it out. "So...uh, if we have to split up, how should we do that? You have to go to blow up the school, obviously, Tucker...I don't know if Kururu and Black should be near that, but uh....the rest of us...."

He's not terribly good at talking in groups- or talking in general, really. He shrugs and then roots in his pack. "Kururu, if you're going to give up your rocket launcher, you should have something....take what I've got?" He opens it up enough for her to see the gas canisters. "It won't stop everyone, but it might help..." he murmurs.
PFC L. Tucker
not_teal at 2008-08-04 02:59 (UTC) (Link)
If he wasn't sitting on a plank of wood in a puddle if rain water he'd dance a jig. If he knew what a jig looked like.

He agonizes over the decision for s while, inbetween wrestling with the reins as he manoeuvre's around a nasty-looking patch of sodden field. There might be a bit of jostling, sorry guyz. "...You guys oughta have some firepower with you just on case. The rifle's in my pack," he figured it was better to keep it out of the rain in the meantime, "The clip's nearly full and there's an extra to go with it. Hopefully, neither, of us will need it."

Hopefully he'll make salsa out of any opposing force and salvage whatever they're carrying. He doesn't want to go without some Dakka in his hands for too long.
Revan, (Former) Dark Lord of the Sith
prodigalsith at 2008-08-04 03:48 (UTC) (Link)
"I am going with Kururu and Black," Revan announces firmly... right before his shoulder hits against the inside of the wagon with a distinct thud, damn his poor balance.
He's not going to try to explain why he's going with that particular pair, just that he is; he doesn't want to explain that he thinks Black is crazy and that he's concerned Kururu will get hurt if she's left with him. In his mind it just doesn't do to express that kind of emotion in dangerous situations. It makes him weak.

That was the reason he'd switched on the part of him that had played Dark Lord of the Sith for five years - it kept him alert and helped him avoid making stupid mistakes. And that part of him said 'get the gun'. He reached for Tucker's pack and pulled the rifle and second clip out, checking it over and testing his own grip on it. It's not too different from some of the blaster rifles he's handled before. "Hopefully whoever is actually playing has not run across anyone well-armed." It's hardly realistic. But still, it's something.
Reeves Bennington
mr_bennington at 2008-08-04 04:01 (UTC) (Link)
And that's when someone approaches the wagon, stumbling through the rain, his feet sinking into the patches of soft earth. Reeves, normally thin and pale, looks almost sickly so now, his pale skin tinged with sunburn in some areas. He's soaked to the bone and shivering as he comes towards them

His eyes narrow momentarily. There are a lot of people in the wagon. If he's going to live, to win, he needs to kill all of them.

Reeves lifts his arms, bag still on his shoulder, trying to show that he's not a threat. He certainly doesn't look like threat. Just a guy who really needs some shelter and rest.
Henry Sherman-Townshend
unbroken at 2008-08-04 04:07 (UTC) (Link)
Henry pulls his wet bangs out of his eyes and looks more closely at the man coming towards them. "Hello...?" he calls out. They don't need to add any more people to their group now, but this guy certainly looks like he could use some help. Henry wonders if the man's eaten at all the past couple of days. "Are you all right?"

Edited at 2008-08-04 04:12 am (UTC)
PFC L. Tucker
not_teal at 2008-08-04 05:02 (UTC) (Link)
"It's not a hippy, is it? 'Cause I ain't stoppin' to pick up hippies..." It's hard tell in all this rain. He pulls on the reins to slow down. He can always do the Stop-To-Let-Them-Catch-Up-And-Speed-Off-Just-Before-They-Make-It trick, but that's a little harder to pull off in these circumstances.

"So how 'bout this weather, huh?" he calls out.
Revan, (Former) Dark Lord of the Sith
prodigalsith at 2008-08-04 05:13 (UTC) (Link)
"They would not be so mean as to send a hippy; that would constitute cruel and unusual punishment for us," Revan says with a trace of amused sarcasm in his voice. He's has to find something funny about this, dammit.

In truth he's been counting. The six of them plus this new guy is seven, and one more competitor would make eight. The symmetry was not lost on him. As for the new-comer, he just peers at him quietly. Deciding.
Reeves Bennington
mr_bennington at 2008-08-04 05:22 (UTC) (Link)
Reeves makes it to the wagon. He sure does look miserable, all shivering and drenched, doesn't he? He looks like he can barely stand up straight right now, too. Catching up to them took a lot out of him, seeing as he doesn't exactly have a lot of stamina.

"Oh, just f-fine." He finally says dryly to Henry, teeth chattering. "I a-assume you're all looking for another w-way out as well?" Reeves isn't. Not anymore. Unless they already have a very good plan... there's no time. It's play or die.
PFC L. Tucker
not_teal at 2008-08-04 05:46 (UTC) (Link)
Tucker looks him over from (wherever he's standing) where he is. From the look of it the worst the could do to them is sneeze on them, thereby transmitting something contagious and possibly making them slightly less effective against him in battle. Not a terribly effective tactic when you're on a time limit.

Anyway, he smirks and says, "I think it's your lucky day, dude."
Reeves Bennington
mr_bennington at 2008-08-04 05:51 (UTC) (Link)
Reeves looks at Tucker. "I'm g-glad." He eyes the man. Tucker looks like he'd be difficult to take down. Reeves has no idea what kind of weapon the man has. He doesn't know what any of them have. Not yet, anyway. "Could I get i-in then?" He just wants to get outta this rain, man. It looks cramped but it's gotta be better than soaking out here.
PFC L. Tucker
not_teal at 2008-08-04 06:30 (UTC) (Link)
"I guess you could, but if we get pulled over for exceeding the occupant limit..." He nods for him to climb aboard. "Just watch your step, it's a little slippery... and keep your arms and legs inside at all times while the vehicle is in motion..."

A barrel of fun this going to be. Really.
Reeves Bennington
mr_bennington at 2008-08-04 06:37 (UTC) (Link)
Reeves gives a humorless chuckle and makes his way in. He doesn't take up much room. He's tall, but he's also practically rail thin. He's grateful to be inside, even if it means packing into a wagon full of strangers. It's warm and out of the rain. He pulls some food out of his bag, finally remembering to eat, and takes a bite.
PFC L. Tucker
not_teal at 2008-08-04 07:53 (UTC) (Link)
With their new passenger on board Tucker urges Harvey and Oxford onward, humming something within earshot of a tune.

Once everyone was settled back in there would be time for introductions, for explanations. For discussions. For decisions. For the plan. Not just the plan, but the Plan.

Okay, maybe just the plan.
Previous Entry  Next Entry