You are viewing program68

August 2008   01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

[ G9: Near the Forest : Day 3 : Evening ]

Posted by holystarstrike on 2008.07.28 at 01:26
It's a strange blessing that everyone is still alive when they're all ready to move the next day. Though the weather doesn't seem like it's so nice out (despite the pretty sun) anymore. Ariekene feels better, at least, and her leg aches a little less (though she knows walking on it all day will not be kind) so she feels a readier. Her head hurts, and her fingers tingle in that mana-needing kind of way, and she half-heartedly tries a few spells and gets nothing.

"I figure," she said, then, earlier today as she unfolded her map, scraped over and written on. "That it seems there are no deaths or dead zones in the north east quadrant of the map. That might be the smartest place to go - there's a forest, maybe we can hide out there until this all over." She remembers that whole 'if no one dies in one day, everyone dies' part, but does not seem keen on adding it to this particular plan. And so, given as they had nothing to add, they continued that way.

It's evening now, and they've been walking and resting and eating rations all day. Ariekne's leg is not good, but she is a battle priestess and a little soreness never killed anyone. This is not to say, however, that she does not sit down on a rotting log when she sees one. The forest looms in front of them, spooky-like, and Ariekne doesn't know if hiding in this place is honestly the best idea.

Either way, sitting on a rotting stump to rest her bum leg works. She tugs some rations out of her backpack and eats as little as possible to make her stomach-ache go away. She'd even go for some conjured bread, right now.

"What do you think?" She says to them. "Do you think we should go in and hide out there, or stay here another night, or keep moving.. ?"


Comments:


Aiden Michael Kane
fly_punkbat_fly at 2008-07-28 05:58 (UTC) (Link)
"I think I've never seen this much grass or these many trees since--" Mikey cuts himself off and finishes, lamely. "Well, never. That was sort of useless of me, wasn't it?"

He settles near her, on his haunches and stares towards the trees a little nervously. "I know this is the best plan, going north but I really don't like the idea of going in the woods unless we plan on climbing the trees for a night."

Honestly though, and Mikey is nearly always honest with himself about certain topics, he needs a better weapon then a head full of holes and the forest might provide the materials. He looks to their last companion. "I don't like it but I'll go if you two think it's best. This isn't the sort of battlefield I'm used to."
Reeves Bennington
mr_bennington at 2008-07-28 06:08 (UTC) (Link)
Reeves sits cross-legged on the ground near them, chewing some food thoughtfully as he eyes the forest. "It'd provide good cover... but we don't know what's in it." He looks pretty tired at this point, the circles under his eyes becoming rather evident. He also looks like he's getting a slight sun burn.

"At any rate, I'd think it'd be better than sleeping out in the open."
holystarstrike at 2008-07-28 06:23 (UTC) (Link)
"That's what I was concerned about, Reeves. This place.. is not our friend." Secretly, Ariekne wishes she could speak to nature, but she shoves that thought away - she doesn't need no stinkin' Kaldorei powers. "It would only make sense for their to be some sort of terrible demon or monster in the forest. But it's also true, that sleeping out here can't be much safer. Maybe towards the edge of the forest?"

She does, however, look at Mikey. "Are you from a big city, if you're not accustomed to so many trees?"
Aiden Michael Kane
fly_punkbat_fly at 2008-07-28 06:29 (UTC) (Link)
Oh. He totally thought it was obvious.

Around his mouthful of rations he smiles widely and mummbles out something until he remembers his manners and swallows. "M'from Gotham which is one of the bigger and darker cities in America from what I understand. Don't go much for the way of trees, in Gotham and don't much go for parks either." Except, you know, that big one that Ivy currently controls.

The teen takes another hungry bite, actually remembering to chew and swallow before continuing. "But I've spent the last six months in a cell in a space station getting my crap beaten out of me. What about you two? Awesome hunters of the night?"
Reeves Bennington
mr_bennington at 2008-07-28 06:38 (UTC) (Link)
He nods, looking distracted for a moment. "The edge of the forest should work as a good in-between." He says distantly.

He snaps out of his tired stupor and looks at Mikey. "I'm from New York." He smiles and shrugs.
holystarstrike at 2008-07-28 06:52 (UTC) (Link)
"I'm originally from Silvermoon, but I live in Quel'danas, now." She smiles a little, and thinks about all of her different homes, really - not just those two, but Shattrath and Orgrimmar too. The funny thing is, even her big cities have trees and lakes. "I'm a battle healer, but all of my magic seems to have been locked." A hand goes to the collar. "So now I'm just an elf with a bum leg and a baseball bat."
Aiden Michael Kane
fly_punkbat_fly at 2008-07-28 07:05 (UTC) (Link)
Mikey looks more then a little doubtful about Reeves origins but lets it slide. People can move. Ari's origins just confuse him. "...Sure, emosewa cigam and all that."

The forest is eyed once more before he levers himself to his feet with a groan and a rueful grin. "Yeah, okay. No further, though. My sense of direction is shot and I'm no mighty Ranger."
Reeves Bennington
mr_bennington at 2008-07-28 07:10 (UTC) (Link)
Reeves has no more of an idea on Ari's origins than you, Mikey. He smiles at Mikey and hefts himself up as well. "Can't say I am either." he says, dusting himself off.
holystarstrike at 2008-07-28 15:28 (UTC) (Link)
It's strange. She's apparently the only person in the world who doesn't come from an Earth alternate, so she's now used of people having no idea what's she's talking about when she says 'Silvermoon City,' and being hopeless when everyone else knows what 'New York' is. Anyway, she does not stand up, like them - she waits for the last possible second. Her leg's killing her, all right? It hasn't been walked on like this for a long, long time. She doesn't care, really, where Reeves or Mikey come from, but the conversation was nice.

"Not in a forest like this, in this condition," she glances up at the watery sun and chews her lip. There are spells, and even prayers to find out where you need to go, but she knows, immediately, that none of it will work. She does pull herself up eventually though, and favors her other side, trying to keep as much weight as possible off the demon-scared limb.
Aiden Michael Kane
fly_punkbat_fly at 2008-07-28 19:57 (UTC) (Link)
He might be tired but he's not an asshole, not usually. Watching Ari struggle is a little more then his guilt complex can take. "Need a lift?"

Hey, you, British guy, aren't you supposed to be all ....British?
Reeves Bennington
mr_bennington at 2008-07-28 20:04 (UTC) (Link)
He would have offered if you hadn't, Mikey! But truth be told, Ari seems to trust you much more. Plus, he's a scrawny thing and would probably tire pretty fast.

Reeves picks up his bag and waits for them.
holystarstrike at 2008-07-28 20:28 (UTC) (Link)
Even though it seems like a bad idea, Ariekne accepts Mikey's help. She takes his backpack, though, to make it a little easier for him. Nothing like feeling like dead weight in a group where you can't really afford to have dead weight. And the worst is the whole human thing. Eventually, she will come to a conclusion about how she feels about humans. But now is not the time, and to be honest, she's a little torn about this little alliance they have going.

"Thanks again, Mikey," she says. "When we get out of this, I'll make it up to you."
Aiden Michael Kane
fly_punkbat_fly at 2008-07-28 21:01 (UTC) (Link)
Huffing in effort, Mikey jiggles her up into a comfortable position. "Naw, you won't. I wouldn't let you."

He shuffles a little closer to Reeves' side and uses him as a lean-to whenever the uneven ground leaves him stumbling. Sorry Reeves. It does mean that you've gained some of Mikey's -- admittedly easily-won -- trust, though.
Reeves Bennington
mr_bennington at 2008-07-28 21:09 (UTC) (Link)
Reeves doesn't seem to mind this too much. Keeping along side Mikey he heads for the treeline with them. He seems to keep staring off into space before snapping himself out of it and paying closer attention to his surroundings. Reeves is a little tired.

"Tomorrow, I think it would be in our best interests to come up with a better plan than wandering aimlessly." The tiredness is creeping into his voice. If more than one person is alive by the end... they all die. Something needs to be done here.
holystarstrike at 2008-07-28 23:30 (UTC) (Link)
"That's a good idea, but what better idea is there?" She asks, chewing her lip as she tries to shift and possibly make herself lighter. "How can we escape this place? If I can get this collar off, I could get out of here, but I wouldn't leave without you both." She smiles a little and prays silently. Someone get them out of this place.
Aiden Michael Kane
fly_punkbat_fly at 2008-07-29 00:25 (UTC) (Link)
Shifting around on someone's back does pretty much the opposite of making yourself lighter but hey, Mikey works with kids so he understands the thought-process there.

"I don't think we can escape. I'm not a genius but I'm also from the techno-generation. This thing isn't going to come off unless your heart stops." Mikey pulls a comical face, trying to get some laughs to ease the tension. "I don't know about you but I like my heart a-thumpin'."

Reeves Bennington
mr_bennington at 2008-07-29 00:42 (UTC) (Link)
Reeves is a little surprised at Ari's words. He didn't really think either of them trusted him much.

Mikey does get a laugh from Reeves, albeit a tired one. "The collars are the key either way. We can't escape with them on and we can't attack the base wearing them either." But he doesn't have any ideas to offer. What can they do?
holystarstrike at 2008-07-29 02:50 (UTC) (Link)
Ariekne doesn't have anything to offer either. The temple would know. Too bad there's no way to contact them. She can't see Mikey's face, though, but she probably would laugh just to feel better. "How do you think we can get them off, then? They're smooth, and I think if you try and screw with them, then they might activate."

Upon noticing Mikey's panting, she pauses. "You can let me go, if you're tired."
Aiden Michael Kane
fly_punkbat_fly at 2008-07-29 03:49 (UTC) (Link)
"I'll let you down when we all sit down, how's that sound? 'That sounds great, Mikey, thanks. I cannot believe how strong and virile you must be'." The teen's voice rises in a pathetic but possibly amusing imitation of Ari.

Besides, they're already sliding their way through the underbrush.
Reeves Bennington
mr_bennington at 2008-07-29 04:06 (UTC) (Link)
"No idea." He says tiredly, still trudging along. "Though, I do think you're correct about them detonating if tampered with." He touches his thoughtfully, smoothing a finger along the cold metal.

Reeves comes awfully close to tripping over a bush as he starts to zone out again. No one saw that.
holystarstrike at 2008-07-29 04:09 (UTC) (Link)
Ariekne has a little bit of a giggle-fit at Mikey's impression of her. "I cannot believe how strong and virile you must be. Would I be permitted to bear your children?" She laughs as she says it. She keeps looking at the forest, trying to keep her pointy ears quirked for any sign of danger or anything coming out of the trees at them.
Aiden Michael Kane
fly_punkbat_fly at 2008-07-29 04:19 (UTC) (Link)
Oh, well. Um. There's a panicked moment before Mikey realizes the joke and then he just goes red. God he must be tired if he can't spoon in what he's dishing out. "She'd kill me if I had children."

He isn't sure if he means his mother or his girlfriend. "More rest and then we bash at things with rocks tomorrow, alright?"
Reeves Bennington
mr_bennington at 2008-07-29 04:28 (UTC) (Link)
Reeves has... no comment on that. "Bash at things with rocks?" He turns and raises an eyebrow at Mikey. What exactly are they bashing?

Once they've hit the treeline and gone in a bit Reeves slows down, looking around. "This should be good, I'd think?" He's kind of hoping he just passes out this time, but he has a feeling that he won't. He can't seem to shake the insomnia this game as brought on.

Reeves will offer Ari a hand off of Mikey's back carefully. He's usually pretty gentlemanly, sure, but up until recently he didn't think Ari trusted him very much at all.
holystarstrike at 2008-07-29 04:39 (UTC) (Link)
Ariekne takes the hand and slides down, tugging her crutch out of her bag to lean on it. "That sounds like a good idea, I guess. Should we set another watch and then we'll think about what we're doing, how we're going to get out of here, and everything else tomorrow?"
Aiden Michael Kane
fly_punkbat_fly at 2008-07-29 05:25 (UTC) (Link)
He'll set about getting food out for all of them, then, and keeping his mouth shut.

What, food is important. And Mikey's all of sixteen and constantly famished even in the best of circumstances.
Reeves Bennington
mr_bennington at 2008-07-29 05:33 (UTC) (Link)
"Sounds about right. I'll take first watch this time?" He smiles. He wants to sleep. He really does. But it's polite to offer. And he doubts he's getting much sleep tonight, anyway.

He waves the food away with a hand when Mikey offers it. Why do you think he's this skinny? But really. "We need to be more careful with our rations, they didn't provide us with much."
holystarstrike at 2008-07-29 17:11 (UTC) (Link)
Ariekne has has own rations, and her own fit thinness and penchant for travelling makes it easy for her to only eat a little at a time. Either way, even if she does make it stretch, there isn't enough for a long time. "Well," she says, a grim smile on her thin lips, "We're not supposed to live long. I think we could collect some berries or hunt something if we get desperate, but I'd prefer not to trust this place."

Some bloodthistle would be nice now, despite all its negative properties. Her fingers fidget when she finishes, and she wonders how long it takes to become Wretched. It isn't any hunger this place can sate. She nods to Reeves, though - she trusts him a little more now. " I'll go last," she says, and makes her backpack as comfortable as it can be as a pillow. She dreams of gold and blue butterflies.
Aiden Michael Kane
fly_punkbat_fly at 2008-07-29 23:42 (UTC) (Link)
Mikey stays up a bit longer in order to stuff his face and give Reeves a sympathetic stretching of his lips. "Sorry, I know I should ration but... I'm damned hungry."

What's left of his 'snack' is either brushed from his clothing or packed away. "You look tired; should have claimed last shift but at least you don't have the middle one again. It's a bitch getting up and then trying to sleep again."

The scruffy teen rubs at the stubble on his chin (as sparse as it is, it's still irritating) before clambering up to one of the lower branches of a tree. "Just throw things at me when your shift is up, yeah?"
Reeves Bennington
mr_bennington at 2008-07-29 23:55 (UTC) (Link)
Reeves chuckles as Mikey shovels food into his mouth again. He shrugs, smiling a bit. "I'm sure I'll manage."

He watches the teen finish up and scramble up into the tree. "Will do." He says amusedly. No, he isn't actually going to throw things at you, Mikey. He settles in against the tree with a sigh.
Previous Entry  Next Entry